A Short History of Malcolm Barnecutt Bakeries
Malcolm's grandfather Percy founded the Barnecutt 'dynasty' in 1930, where it all began with a bakery in Liskeard. He also owned and ran a bakery in Bugle, before opening a shop and bakers in Trebetherick, still known today as Rock Bakery.
His son, Malcolm's father Keith, opened a bakery in Padstow in the early 50's, and more shops soon followed in Wadebridge, St Columb and Newquay. The main Bakery also moved to Egloshayle Road, Wadebridge in the late 50's before moving to Polmorla Road, which is where Malcolm learnt his trade under the expertise of his dad, and Ronald Halling, a master confectioner.
Malcolm left Polmorla Bakery in 1983 and with the invaluable support of his mother Joan Barnecutt, to whom he owes most of his success, planned a new Bakery at Carminnow Industrial Estate, Bodmin.
On the 4th of July 1983, their first shop at the Old Guild Hall, Bodmin began trading. The fine frontage and bakers shop hides an extensive room at the rear, which was once the council chambers, but now ia a very pleasant restuarant, which can seat 90 - 100 people and is fondly known as 'Barnys'.
Following the success of our shops in Bodmin, Liskeard, Launceston, Wadebridge, Rock & Boscastle, we are pleased to announce the opening of Malcolm Barnecutt Bakery & Deli in St. Merryn near Padstow. We will offer a fine range of locally produced meats, cheeses, ales, breads and of course all the delicious savouries, pasties and confectionary.
Malcolm and his son and partner James now run a thriving business employing 200 hard working staff all of whom contribute to making the "Malcolm Barnecutt Bakery" the success it is today.